|Location||North West, Ireland|
|Date Posted||November 29, 2019|
|Salary Range||€70,001 to €80,000|
Job Title: Technical Lead
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Job type: Permanent, Full time
Industry sector: Software Solutions
Location: North West, Donegal
Start: ASAP subject to notice period
Salary: eu70-75k DOE plus excellent benefits
Our client, a multinational software solutions company is looking to recruit an experienced and ambitious Software Engineering Technical Lead to join their team based in Donegal.
The person responsible shall provide scrum leadership and guidance within the engineering team on technical design, including SDLC best practice and the implementation of non-functional requirements. They will possess excellent working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within agile software development.
Their work will focus on a critical component of the company’s desktop optimization solution which is a class-leading, enterprise-level integration and enabling technology. The next generation development for the product brings AI and data mining into the roadmap in an innovative and creative way.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, a demonstrated track record of recent experience, contributing to and leading technical designs for complex product solutions. They will have experience working with large globally distributed teams. The ideal candidate will also have knowledge of AI techniques and industry standard data and process mining algorithms, as well as experience of AWS / Lambda or equivalent Serverless frameworks.
The role includes:
- Leading, inspiring and being a champion for the team at a technical level
- Provide technical leadership and manage delivery of agile sprints in new product development
- Work closely with Product Owners and User Experience Designers, to understand business requirements and translate them into technical roadmap.
- Initiate and manage new technology evaluation and proof of concepts
- Creating and maintaining an environment which is conducive to the team’s success and which aligns with departmental goals and working practices
- Responsible for monitoring the team’s delivery and raising any issues with the engineering manager
- Delivering product features and components in line with the company’s high standards for security, scalability, redundancy, resiliency and scalability
- Collaborating with global architects and product management on key strategic cross-functional sub-systems and functions to ensure consistent architecture across our portfolio
- Delivering against the approved schedule
- Lead team to deliver high-quality, robust, and scalable software solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver high-quality, robust, and scalable software solutions, and mentor less experienced team members to do the same
- Providing hands-on architecture leadership, guidance and mentoring to the company’s distributed engineering teams
- Advocate best practices to the team in the areas of software engineering
- Engage in research of new technologies & architectures to improve product
- Ensure non-functional requirements are engineered into new and existing product functionality
Management & Leadership
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ensure the team understands why the features being developed are important, what benefit they will give and for whom they are being developed
- Ensure that the team are aware of the agreed timescales and quality measures and meet the overall acceptance criteria
- Foster a culture of openness and respect in the team
- Lead by example and act as a role model for team members
Planning and Delivery
- Work with the team to produce estimates for plans
- Work with the Engineering Manager to produce delivery schedules
- Ensure that the scope items are delivered within the agreed timescales and to the agreed quality while meeting the overall acceptance criteria • Initiate and manage new technology evaluation and proof of concepts
- Leads team daily stand-ups, sprint planning meetings and retrospectives
Champion of Quality
- Ensure team delivers high quality, re-usable source code
- Contribute to code reviews as influencer more than leader
- Automate test harnesses where possible to enhance quality of product functionality
- Where automation is not possible, design and document effective manual test strategies.
- Incorporate non-functional requirements into the design of the product features in order to deliver a high quality of service to customers.
- Using BDD, design and automate tests whilst working with QA to create effective test plans
- Communicate progress, risks and issues via weekly status reports
- Escalate appropriate issues to the Engineering Manager
- Work closely with Product Managers and User Experience Designers, to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Understand why the scope items being developed are important, what benefits they will bring, who they are being developed for and how they fit into the product
- Ensure stakeholders receive regular progress updates
- Communicate clear boundaries, values, goals, expectations
- Assess decisions/actions and recognise potential impacts on individuals and groups and make plans to meet the needs of all stakeholders as effectively as possible
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Significant years of proven success in implementing and designing enterprise level solutions, or suitable alternative experience in a professional engineering department.
- 5+ years in a senior technical role in previous large-scale software development projects
- Experience architecting and tuning a large-scale solution in the Cloud
- Experience of developing high quality, secure and performant solutions against functional and non-functional requirements.
- The ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of Agile working practices and methodologies.
- The ability to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to demonstrate experience in the automation of Software testing and build systems.
- The ability to demonstrate an appreciation of the Non-Functional requirements and how to meet them.
- Knowledge and experience of object-oriented principles and design patterns
- C# / dot net, SQL an advantage
- Modern REST API patterns (e.g. JSON-LD)
- User interface design and implementation
- Design patterns for scale out of application components
- BDD principles with Cucumber
- TDD principles with either TestNG or JUnit
- UI test Automation with Selenium
- Cross Browser testing tools such as Browserstack
- CICD Packaging and Deployment Automation
- Packaging: e.g. AWS CodeDeploy, Ansible, Terraform
- Build: e.g. Git, Jenkins and Jenkins Pipeline
- Experience of a fast-paced, dynamic and quality focused software development environment
- The ability to lead a team in daily stand-ups, sprint planning meetings and retrospectives is essential.
- The ability to provide reasonably accurate estimates and plan work for the team is essential.
- The ability to demonstrate the effective execution of design and architect tasks that are sympathetic to a delivery plan is essential.
- The ability to work in a global environment and interface with remote groups is essential.
- Direct exposure to customers is desirable.
- Strong motivational skills
- Strong organization & time management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good team player
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Maintains own skill sets by keeping up to date with development trends and thinking.
- Ability to follow process but to remain flexible in achieving project objectives
- Ambitious, motivated, eager to learn and demonstrate value
Some global travel maybe required.
Does this job appeal to you? Does it fit your career path? The North West is fast becoming a hub for tech innovation. This opportunity will allow you to expand your knowledge base whilst living in one of the more inexpensive and naturally beautiful parts of Ireland. A rare opportunity to create a positive work/life balance! Contact me immediately to find out more.